On 1/19/2021 6:37 PM, Pete Helgren wrote:
Once again to you Patrik and the good Dr Franken, many thanks.  I am ALMOST there.

Going back to your comment Larry:

"So the Client and Server thing will make sense once you complete creating the first partition."  - So, I can skip the SCSI adapters for the IBM i partition I am creating first?  And, further (perhaps wrong) you suggest that when I create my first Linux partition THAT is when I'll create the SCSI adapters, Server and Client, and use them to connect to the NWSSTG on IBM i ?  Or do I create the SCSI Server adapters now and the clients later...just didn't quite grok the idea completely....

Yes you can skip them initially but need them before you create the first Guest. You can certainly create the Server vSCSI adapters on the IBM i partition straight away. They will do no harm and then they are there. You do need to think about how you're pairing up the adapters though between the host and guest though so you get the numbers correct.

Once created on IBM i they will show up under WRKHDWRSC *CMN (Not *STG where you might expect!) and those CMNxx numbers are used in the CRTNWSD command.

Finally, last page on creating the profile:  Tagged I/O  (vs I/O)  I selected the I/O (basically, all of it for IBM i) and when I arrive at the "Tagged I/O" screen I am able to select 1 of the 2 SAS RAID adapters for load source.  I assume they are redundant so I can choose either, or do I need to do more research (or skip it).  Likewise similar questions for "Alternate restart device". Console is flagged as "Management Console" and I don't know what to set "Alternate Console" and "Operations Console" to (so many consoles, so little time....)

Yes either adapter is fine for the load source.

Alternate restart is optional unless you are re-installing IBM i so either adapter works there as well.

Console as HMC is good and the last two can be left open as they are rarely used.

- L

That's it.  With some answers I can push the big button....

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java
AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner