Great!  Just what I needed.....so the next question starts at the top.  You said:

"So the likely first step is to create a new profile for IBM i that does not require all memory and all slots and all processors. This leaves resources for other partitions."

YES!  Exactly, except, how is that done?  That was the missing piece for me.  There is a bunch of documentation on how to create/allocate the other resources needed for an LPAR but it is that very first step of creating/installing/whatever the IBM i environment where it doesn't own everything.  Can you point me to documentation on that very important first step? Am I going to have to start from scratch and re-install the whole nut to make that happen?

As an aside (future conversation): Is starting with VIOS a better way to go?  I am guessing that it ain't free, so that may be my sticking point, but if it makes virtualization easier, it might be worth looking into....

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java
AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner