Yes, virtual HMC it is....

Starting on the "dumber than a bag of hammers" questions now. Assumption: I am creating a NEW IBM i partition so that not every resource is allocated to it

1)    Processors:  I gotta admit, this always threw me, even with the JS12 and VIOS.  I am assuming that I want one dedicated processor for IBM i which it is licensed for. Correct?

2)    Any advantage to shared memory vs

3)     On the I/O page:  Is there any reason I *wouldn't *want to include all the physical resources like Gigabit Adapter and the two SAS RAID adapters? Again the plan here is to carve out a couple of Linux LPARS after I free up some resources.

4)    As I ponder creating this new profile, how will this affect the existing resources on the IBM i?  Most notably, the Ethernet adapters that currently exist.  Do they lose the underlying resources since I am now creating a new virtual resource for it? Just wondering if when this guy IPL's if it will be accessible....

That's only the first few dumb questions....I noticed that the SCSI adapters have a "Server" or "Client" option (I'll assume SERVER although the document I am looking at says server and then later on talks about creating a client SCSI....).  And, the checkbox next to this adapter is required for partition activation?

More dumb questions later.....

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java