Hello Roberto,

Am 08.01.2021 um 18:22 schrieb Roberto José Etcheverry Romero <yggdrasil.raiker@xxxxxxxxx>:

IBM i is the only OS where you can start and stop parity protection without
any care about the overlying OS. You have 4 disks (and enough free space)?
you can start RAID.

Yes, a really nice feature! All because you can easily dynamically scale the ASP size.

I usually try to install LIC, Start RAID and then restore OS/LICPGM/DATA.
If you wait until the machine is restored, you run the risk of the ASP
dying if a disk dies while starting the RAID.

From my experience, the few old AS/400 disks I’ve worked with are more reliable than some modern SAS or SATA disks.

But yes, you have a point. And, when you start RAID because of your point, make sure you let it finish syncing. If a disk dies while the sync isn’t done, you’ve won nothing but increased wait time for the restore *and* a defective ASP. :-)

:wq! PoC