I'm not sure what happens when your from file and to file are the
same, and I think your from file needs a less than sign in front of
it:

sed 's|x|y|' <from.txt >to.txt

sed is a really powerful tool; I've been in this field 40 years, but
didn't get into regular expressions until our Linux guy quit. Now I
can write regular expressions that look like modem line noise.

Chris
chris@xxxxxxxxx
www.brilligware.com - The home of MineSweeper5250

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 4:31 PM Dean Eshleman