Hi Jack,

I suspect the problem is you're trying to create a node with a blank name instead of another object, and its putting the generator into a bad state.  Unless I'm misunderstanding, you don't want/need to give the node a name (not even blank) and you don't want to generate an extra object.  So the code would be more like this:

rc = yajl_genOpen(*On);
ptrJSONContent = %Addr(wrkContent_Data);
lenJSONContent = wrkContent_Len;
Root = yajl_buf_load_tree(ptrJSONContent:lenJSONContent:errMsg);
rc = yajl_genFromNode(*omit:Root);
yajl_tree_free(Root);
 rc = yajl_saveBuf('/tmp/prettyJSON.json':errMsg);
 yajl_genClose();

-SK

Nothing blows up or returns errors but this code only returns a single '{' in the buffer so I'm probably doing several things wrong. I'm very unsure about yajl_genfromNode.

Dcl-s Root Like(yajl_val);
Dcl-s errMsg VarChar(500) Inz(' ');
Dcl-s ptrJSONContent Pointer;
Dcl-s rtnLen Int(10);
Dcl-s lenJSONContent Int(10);
Dcl-s wrkContent SQLTYPE(Clob:128000);

EXEC SQL
SELECT a.Transaction_Content
INTO :wrkContent
FROM cvWebTx A
WHERE a.AppID = :wrkRecID;

rc = yajl_genOpen(*On);

ptrJSONContent = %Addr(wrkContent_Data);
lenJSONContent = wrkContent_Len;
Root = yajl_buf_load_tree(ptrJSONContent:lenJSONContent:errMsg);

rc = yajl_beginObj();

rc = yajl_genFromNode(' ':Root);

rc = yajl_endObj();

rc = yajl_saveBuf('/tmp/prettyJSON.json':errMsg);

yajl_genClose();

I appreciate other suggestions about other open source. Since YAJL is already installed and being used I'd like to stick with it.

If your requirements are different and its important to do this in program code... this is unusual, but should be possible with YAJL. Open an existing JSON document into a tree using yajl_stmf_load_tree() (or one of the other yajl tools that loads a tree) and then use YAJL's generator to create output. There's a routine called YAJL_genFromNode that you can call, pass a node (such as the document node returned by
yajl_stmf_load_tree) and it will add that entire tree to the generated JSON. If you've configured the JSON generate to generate in "pretty"
format, the yajl_genFromNode will essentially copy the structure, but the output will be "pretty".

Good Luck