From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Rob Berendt
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2020 1:25 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: QINACTITV and QINACTMSGQ recommendations

What problem are you trying to solve?
- Twinax is dead. Your PC policy should have them going to screen saver after a few minutes. Therefore data up on the screen should not be a security issue.
- Nightly backups? Do you care if it's been locked for 5 hours versus 20 minutes or would you rather just release all locks before the backup anyway? Or use your HA machine for backups?
- Back to record locking... is 5250 really your only concern when it comes to locking? What about the never ending job? The SQL tool left up? Web app?

Yes we do have some spool files we find a little irksome which do not seem to ever get released and replicated to the HA machine. Almost always these are spool logs from maintenance programs (not joblogs - who spools those anymore?). No one ever reads file maintenance logs anyway so who cares if they don't get replicated?

If you start killing jobs whilly-nilly are you sure that you won't "rollback" some changes which the programmer didn't put a commit cycle in there first?

IBM Certified System Administrator - IBM i 6.1 Group Dekko Dept 1600 Mail to: 7310 Innovation Blvd, Suite 104
Ft. Wayne, IN 46818
Ship to: 7310 Innovation Blvd, Dock 9C
Ft. Wayne, IN 46818
http://www.dekko.com