Hello Mark,

Am 07.09.2020 um 19:32 schrieb Mark Waterbury <mark.s.waterbury@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

You are correct -- the PowerPC 603 is the "MFIOP" -- the "multi-function I/O Processor ... :-) That is a 32-bit PowerPC, as it does not need the full power of a 64-bit processor just to run the I/O stuff ... ;-) It runs a small embedded real-time "OS" (written in Modula-2 apparently) to manage all of the concurrent I/O activities on the various SCSI devices ... and to talk to the other IOAs, such as the Twinax controller or Ethernet controller.

… and Token Ring, in my case. ;-)

Yes, 32 Bits. Info about the 100 MHz version: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/PowerPC-603/IBM-EMPPC603eFE-100%20-%20IBM25EMPPC603eFE-100.html

Funnily, people actually collect these things. :-) http://www.cpu-world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31994

Thanks again! Valuable background information!

Is this a probably case of a "switch" from service processor mode after power on to IOP mode after giving control to the main CPU in the course of an IPL?

:wq! PoC

PGP-Key: DDD3 4ABF 6413 38DE - https://www.pocnet.net/poc-key.asc