Upon further reflection I think there may have been a change to BRMS.
I was standardizing QLNKOMT from one system. This one may have been different and got clobbered. The time seems to match.

Looking for a document on "how to do incremental ifs saves in BRMS".

No changes were made to the control group
Weekly Retain Save SWA
Backup List ASP Activity Object While Message Sync
Seq Items Type Device SMTWTFS Detail Active Queue ID
10 *SAVSECDTA *DFTACT *NO
20 *SAVCFG *DFTACT *NO
30 ALLULIBEXC *OBJ *SYSBAS *DFTACT *OBJ *LIB *LIB *NONE
40 *ALLDLO *DFTACT *NO *YES
50 *LINK *ALLAVL *DFTACT *YES *YES *LIB *NONE
60 FILESHARE *LNK *ALLAVL IIIIIII *YES *YES *LIB *NONE
70 *EXIT *DFTACT

FILESHARE is a list with appears in WRKLBRM. It contains only this *INCLUDE entry: '/home/FileShare'

So, I'm guessing that when I propagated out QLNKOMT this lpar had a custom entry omitting that directory which got toasted. Now it takes a LONG time to save this huge directory when you do a non incremental save.
But that doesn't explain why the Monday save, which did not do the incremental save, is running even much longer than before.

So I am going to do these steps:
Reboot machine to clear the mess
Add an entry to QLNKOMT for the share directory.
Add an preexit and a postexit to stop/start *NETSVR.