I'm not sure I would call it a skin over STRDBG - the green screen debugger is not involved that I know of. You may easily have more knowledge that I do.

The ACS debugger is completely Java and uses the *DEBUG TCP/IP server. The latter probably uses the same resources as STRDBG does, but the System Debugger has capabilities that STRDBG doesn't have, especially nice ways to navigate like "run to cursor" - when I was playing with this, I loved that one.

Cheers
Vern