I might suggest attaching your backup device(s) to your backup server (you
mentioned iTera) and running your save-to-media operations on that server,
unless the servers are not adequately in sync. If the servers are in sync,
wouldn't that meet your off-site requirement?

In regard to backup devices and media, I've been enjoying RDX cartridges
over tape.

Lately, I've been test-saving user libraries and IFS directories to a 256
GB USB stick. Not as fast as RDX. But it works.

I recently ordered a 7-port USB Hub https://amzn.to/3h4wLZz to test whether
it might work to have a USB stick for each day of the week (Sunday -
Saturday).

Just thoughts. I don't want to disparage a VTL solution, except that you
indicated that cost may be a factor.