Evan,

<the service needs to be turned on/allowed via the GUI

Besides these steps below, it there more.

Enable remote command execution
Users and Security>Systems and Console Security
Enable Remote Command Execution

Configure the HMC firewall to allow remote ssh connections
HMC Management > Console Settings> Change Network Settings, Lan Adapters Tab, Select the interface used for remote access, click Details, then the Firewall tab. Secure Shell will be selected by default, click Allow Incoming button, then OK, OK to save.

Obtain a ssh client such as PuTTY

Paul