<snip>

> Basically my goal is to secure the data with *public *exclude. Most users should have no access to the end data but instead should use programs which adopt authority to get to the data. For example, if JOHN is enrolled in our ERP application then he can perform any task authorized for him. However if JOHN tries to query the data directly outside of the applications he cannot.

<snip>

THIS is the goal indeed. John as a standalone profile even with command line access shouldn't even be able to DSPPFM the dadgum file. If he has access to a reporting application through app level security then the application adopts the needed level of access and accesses the data. Same with update etc.

ODBC = Nope.
Query = Nope.
SQL = Nope.
FTP = Nope.
SCP = Nope.
Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope.

Yes some query users exist but that's where a well planned Authorization List works well. Files which need to be queried are secured by it. Users who need query access are added to it. Works well. BUT it then also allows access via ODBC, SQL, FTP, SCP ... for downloads anyway. This doesn't put your application at risk but your DATA, yes.

As to the Original Question I have not yet gone through an authority collection to figure this out but I have seen Carol Woodbury discussing Authority Collections and it very clearly thrilled her that these capabilities exist. She spoke glowingly of them!

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com