You might as well say that RLA should go away now that the system has SQL access. One benefit of how database works on IBM i is the dual access capability, IMO.

Every flavor of SQL has extensions. And *SYS is like that.

Now as to dialect - SQL on IBM i may be the most compliant flavor of SQL as concerns the published SQL standards. And they are not going on a "feature" chase for non-compliant features. Again, every flavor of SQL has its own extensions.

My question on something like select without from is, does that comply with the ANSI SQL standard? Or is it a variant from only certain RDBMS'?

Regards
Vern