Hello,

Am 17.02.2020 um 22:17 schrieb Laurence Chiu <lchiu7@xxxxxxxxx>:

Going to put two Power servers into two data centers which are about 50km
apart but connected via 100Gbs DWDM.

Do I need a HMC in both data centers or can I get by with one controlling
both servers? If only one then I would probably locate it in the DR site.

You need to answer that question yourself. :-)

POWERs run fine without a HMC, and POWERs can AFAIK be managed by up to two HMCs. HMCs need an IP connection to the POWERs, so if your DCs are networked, you will be fine with just one.

Unless you're standing in the data center without HMC and need Console Access or need to shuffle with LPARS or whatever tasks HMC is used for.

If you don't need local console access, you can open the HMC application remotely through a browser. Works, as long as the network is available.

Even console access could be granted with some workarounds, maybe. I'm not fluent enough with modern hardware to really give a 100% true answer.

You see, the true answer to your question is "it depends". :-)

:wq! PoC

PGP-Key: DDD3 4ABF 6413 38DE - https://www.pocnet.net/poc-key.asc