Hello Rob,

Am 27.02.2020 um 17:09 schrieb Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>:

What amazes me is that some people do not believe that there can be such a thing as antivirus software.

There is such a thing as antivirus software. I question it being a good decision to rely on Anti-Malware solely and not care about further measures. I doubt their reliability when there's the next big outbreak of something similar to NotPetya or whatever it will be called then.

This stuff has been around for decades.

Yes, and Malware never stopped being around also. So what? Maybe it's like suspecting fire departments to sometimes start a fire? :-)

Basically they rely upon three things: The software, the engine, and pattern files.

New Malware in your network without the vendor knowing => You're doomed.

I'm sure that if you had something like Powertech's loaded and installed on your IBM i it would stop you from doing an EDTF '/home/SMEDLY/myfile.txt', pasting the Eicar into it, and trying to save that file.

I'd better not bet on that. I'm not sure how deeply IBM wants these stuff to interfere in probably bad ways with your system. Sitting in background and constantly watching activity eats up precious CPU cycles. On a desktop PC, this is maybe tolerable because current ones spend most time waiting for user activity.

And, there are such completely intolerable things like Avast selling personal data collected through "could analytics".

It's not that IBM i can be affected by a virus, but it sure can home them.

Yes and therefore, I recommend to stop spreading at it's source, not at possible destinations, with possible multitudes of negative consequences.

Ransomware is a different animal. Basically it's just file encryption but you have to pay a ransom to get the key to decrypt it.

I don't differ these. Viruses and Ransomware, Worms, it's all Malware.

:wq! PoC

PGP-Key: DDD3 4ABF 6413 38DE - https://www.pocnet.net/poc-key.asc