Got fed up with the timeouts and asked Mr Google. Finally found
https://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2020/01/15/news-gmane-org-is-now-news-gmane-io/

I've forgotten why I used news.gmane, but I think waaay back I was also following other lists.

Joe Pluta said he follows "directly to the addresses at lists.midrange.com". I will have to look into that.

Sam