User is looking at a list of outstanding invoices.
Notices that one is for a large amount and wonders how many others are in that category.
Sorts the data in amount sequence and looks for the invoice that triggered the thought
Can't find it because (in your scenario) a payment has been made and it is no longer in the list.
User spend a few minutes paging around and thinking about it and decides they must have mis-membered the amount.
Changes back to the original sequence and looks for the customer number - can't find it either for the same reason.

They have just wasted several minutes because when they asked you to resequence the data they (apparently) foolishly expected you to resequence the SAME data.

A little bit of their trust in the system just died.

I have actually watched this happen on a number of sites. Sometimes when I lecture on this kind of topic and mention this situation I can watch the lightbulbs go on in some peoples heads as they have the "Oh! that's why the XDYX screens confuse the users!" moment.

And I was talking about why a load-all was my preferred approach. Not expandable (although similar issues apply) or page-at-a-time.

But as you well know - unless there is no alternative I wouldn't waste time doing anything with a 5250 in the first place.