I can't imagine the scenario you describe, therefore I am not understanding what you have said.   Why would I be looking at, say, Smith and decide to Filter for %mith?  I mean, the user is already there?

Clearly I am missing something.

What I see mostly is a user working from a random stack of input data, in which case the user is bouncing all around the file.  Or a user is working from ordered input of some particular field so a subfile that sorts by columns fills that need.  Adding filters on columns is  easy and, for the super user, a welcome surprise.

In other words I see no real case today for either the expandable _or_ the singlepage subfile.  The days of the 300 baud modems are behind us.