You've clearly never watched a confused user spend time trying to find the record they were looking at that caused them to want to sort/filter the subfile to see "how many others are like this".

My personal take is that once you have displayed a list of items and the user asks you to sort it or filter it - then you should be sorting/filtering _that_ list - not a new one.

That's why I always build subfiles in memory and sequence/filter internally not by re-doing the query which is what your approach results in.

Of course the user should always have the option to refresh the list - but I don't think it should ever be refreshed "behind their back".