Exception join only brings back records from the parent when there's no
match at all in the child.

That's the definition of exception.

Charles

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 8:58 AM Darren Strong <darren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It depends on the dataset. If your exception join brings in 5 child
records that match what you're looking for, you are then ignoring 4 records
because what you really wanted was to just know if there was a match to
your primary record. This is also why a "FETCH FIRST ROW ONLY" will perform
better on a column sub-select, even when there is only one record ever
returned, because you've told the optimizer that you're only interested in
one record so it won't look for more than one, which would incidentally
also crash the sub-select.

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of
Charles Wilt
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2019 10:53 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Help with SQL

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not
click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know
the content is safe.

The query engine is optimized for joins.

Many times, EXISTS or a IN will be re-written as a join.

An exception join, as shown, will not bring try to bring in any data from
the child table.

Charles