I suspect from some of the previous notes that there might be some
terminology ambiguity.

Non-extendable (SFLPAG = SFLSIZ) means you are simply using one page. Page
Up and Page Down are available, but the application program is simply
reloading the same page with a new set of data. In this case there is no
9,999 limit.

Extendable means you write X SFL pages and if the user presses Page Down on
the last page you load the next X pages after the previously loaded pages.
Here the 9,999 limit comes into play and X is often = 1.

I generally use extendable loading X = 1 pages with each Page Down past the
current end of the SFL. I have however sometimes loaded a much larger
number of pages (typically controlled by a configuration option).
Specifically I have used this approach (loading > 1 page at one time) when
the SFL is defined with SFLDROP and SFLFOLD. What I found (and could not
seem to control though perhaps I missed it) was that if I was showing a
truncated page and the user then switched to non-truncated mode the system
would show the first N SFL records ( that is, what would fit on one page
non-truncated). If the user used Page Down from here they would see the
next N non-truncated SFL records. If they paged down say twice (leaving
them in the middle of the last page loaded) and then switched back to
truncated mode the system would automatically (no interrupt to the
application program) display the truncated page with the top row being the
row at the top of the last shown non-truncated page. The end-user would
see truncated SFLPAG - (N * number Page Down requests) records and blank
records for the records that might still exist but have not been written to
the SFL since there was no interrupt when processing a mid-point of the
last existing SFL page. If the user uses Page Down at this point the
application gets control and can write the next number of records/pages.
But some users consider a partial SFL page being displayed as indication
the SFL is complete (and don't notice the + sign to indicate otherwise).
eliminate) this exposure. I hope the above makes sense -- it's a lot
easier to understand 'seeing' it compared to describing it...