<Rich>
We are being told by IBM that RPGLE is problematic when attempting to create a *PGM object that is threadsafe.
</Rich>

OPM programms aren't threadsafe. ILE RPG programms could be made threadsafe by the Controll option (punching a H-card) Thread. You have two possibilities:
THREAD(*SERIALIZE): this does what it tells: serialize the whole module.
THREAD(*CONCURRENT): all static storage (global vars, files and internal runtime vars) is thread logal (:= every thread has it's own, independant static storage). This could be modified by defining vars as STATIC(*ALLTHREAD).

If you would have the requirement to call some rpg from a multithreaded application, this (THREAD(*CONCURRENT) should be sufficient..

Having the requirement to write multithreaded code, I would use neither rpg nor C. On AS400 I would recommend Java, C++ 11 seems not to be available on as400.

D*B