Hello Aec (?),

Am 25.10.2019 um 02:50 schrieb aec <cfuture@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

My answer is that yes the AS/400 is no old, obsolete, outdated, but we have a new generation of machine and OS that can handle anything yours can. It is not the same machine or OS.

I fully agree with your statement that we have a new *generation* of Machine and OS. That's totally different with other's Claims that IBM i is not OS/400. It's definitely not the same machine but it shared architectural components and the OS has a huge load of stuff from the eerie days in it. But now I start nitpicking…

What's in a name? A rose is a rose by any other name, but if it's not a rose, dang it, call it what it is!

In Germany, fluorescent lamps are usually called Neon Tubes and it's stuck. They don't have any intentional Neon in it, nor do they glow red. Every price sticker shows the correct naming, packages show the correct naming. If you ask for a fluorescent lamp in a shop, you have a good chance of getting a "what?" in response.

Sometimes it's easier to admit that it's just impossible to change something than being religious about it and rub my own nerves trying to educate people. I get stressed, the educated people call me a weirdo and yet things don't change to the better for anyone.

IF Microsoft decided to call their operating system something else, how long do you think it would take their millions of users to start calling it by the new name? Geesh.

I call it questionable to compare habit of something nearly everybody uses at home (with the accompanying presence in everyday media) with habit of a very limited group of people at work.

I have my phone service with MetroPCS, but soon enough I'll have to start saying T-Mobile.

See. The normative force of "facts".

Oh yes you can, to be blunt. Ask *any* marketing guru. Branding is a BIG business. Ask Verizon. Their old Bell name was quicksand due to some really bad earlier management and bad customer service.

Yes, maybe. But IBM failed. Why? Maybe they should hire more young marketeers than lawyers who force us to do a F14-orgy at every install? ;-)

Another thing people are missing: IBM has had several midrange "children". S/34, s/36, s/38, as/400, eserver iseries, and their youngest and coolest and most modern one is called a "Power Systems loaded with IBM i".

What do you want to tell us with that? These all were wrapped and assimilated by the AS/400 decades ago which became IBM i on Power eventually.

:wq! PoC

PGP-Key: DDD3 4ABF 6413 38DE - https://www.pocnet.net/poc-key.asc