In regard to your question about whether anyone is developing new systems
from the ground up, yes we are! We're an IBM i ISV who focuses on business
applications for the K-12 public school market (i.e. web portal, student
information systems, student transportation systems, special education
systems, financial information systems, learning management systems,
library information systems, etc.).

But rather than care about LOC, perhaps more relevant metrics are the
number of database tables and indexes added to a package. Or SQL views,
applications, reports, and menu items that might be contained in a package.
You might measure the scope of applications by the types of end-user
requests that are handled within one; where a type of request might be to
display the initial page, or show a list of rows from a table, or post an
"add record" operation.

If your applications follow a design pattern where code modules might be
divided between action controllers, action handlers, database I/O modules,
and database event handlers, you might count the number of modules.