Hey John,

And it doesn't have the functionality you're looking for?

I suppose I should say that my main interest in squirrel is for querying
data, saving results in convenient formats - basically working with the
data.
So I'm well versed in using it for that. Other things - not so much.

It's true that Squirrel has features to drill into schemata and maybe if I
was more familiar with some of those features, I might be able to set up a
better work flow with some shortcuts to get most or all of the information
I am accustomed to finding with, say, WRKDBF.

But I can't really see it.

Using the ACS schema example and assuming Squirrel will work similarly:
I find a hotkey to bring up the schemas view (I have friends that poke me
with a stick if I say schemas and not schemata, but that's what it's called
in ACS and Wikipedia tells me both are valid... )
Then I have to select a database. OK maybe I can set a hotkey to select
that automatically, I've only got 2 to choose from at the moment.
Then I have to select a schema. Lets set up another hotkey, although one
for each schema? maybe not. Better pick up the mouse and click on the
appropriate + sign to expand it.
Then I have to click on tables.
Then I have to use the filter or scroll to find my table.
Finally I can right click the table to bring up the context menu and select
"Definition"

I bring up AutoHotkey and Windows Startup because maybe you can
preload this "slow window"

So now I am at what I expertly and technically described as the "slow
window". Probably I should call it a slow-to-load window.
It's the functionality that goes off to find out about the table and it's
columns and key constraints and foreign key constraints etc.
Lots of good information.
I don't believe it can be "pre-loaded" it is infomation specific to that
table I just scrolled and clicked and shortcuted around to find so I could
then ask for the details.
I just timed it again -
6 seconds (from clicking Definition from the context menu) for a table in
one Schema. 86 seconds for doing the same thing on another table in a
different (larger) schema.

I like hotkeys and use them.
I just think that a tool like ACS or Squirrel is great for the rich
functionality it provides and for certain tasks that is exactly what you
want/need.

But when I just want to remember how I abbrevaited INTERMEDIATE as a system
column name - something like WRKDBF is a better tool IMHO.

best regards,
Craig