On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 9:13 AM Craig Richards <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Rob,

Forgive me if I'm misinterpeting your response(s) but if your question is
why <would you use these kinds of utilities because you would have to start
a 5250 session in order to do that>...

then you live in a very different world to me.

Craig, I had the same thought. I will say that where I work, we
definitely have a variety of workflows going. For example, some folks
ALWAYS have at least one 5250 session open. Some have multiple
sessions open. Others don't touch 5250 unless they absolutely have to
(to the point that they have to write down their password because they
use it so infrequently).

Some folks have a "database IDE" open all the time (like DBeaver or
SQuirreL). Some folks have at least one PuTTY session open all the
time. And various combinations of all the above. So it's absolutely
valid for the very same "solution" to be convenient for one person but
inconvenient for another. (Another example: some people build their
entire workflow around RDi, including all the plugins they can get
their hands on. Some shops don't even have RDi.)

I think it's healthy that you're at least trying to give Birgitta's
suggestion a fair shake. One thing to consider, regardless of what
workflow you ultimately wind up with, is that you can do a certain
amount of automation to help yourself out. The combination of
AutoHotkey and judicious use of the Windows Startup folder has
significantly reduced the tedium in my own workflow. (If you're not
using Windows, I'm confident there are similar tools for Linux and
Mac.)

John Y.