If your window just happens to hit when that landmine is in your path you're getting hit anyway.

There's nothing in an automated process which says "how many installs of this level of cume are running in production on IBM's installed customer base and has there been a hiper since we reached our desired number of installations?". It's always a guess process. If EVERY customer waits two months until after a cume comes out then you have ZERO installs and therefore waiting two months buys you NOTHING.
However you remain exposed to all the problems (known and otherwise) fixed by that cume while you wait those two months.

I can see how some may wait a little. RUNSQL, when it first came out caused a lot of disruption. Knowing others found that may have helped.
There's waiting too long also. For example someone who wants to upgrade to 7.1 just now asks this list and everyone who has done that did it so long ago they forgot what issues they ran into.