I get the desire to be up to date on PTFs and if you are doing it that
often, then automating the process. I will caution that you are setting
landmines to step on.

First off as good as IBM is, they do come out with defective PTFs
occasionally. Sometimes unwinding those can be complicated and if it
affects a core function your business needs, then you could be in for quite
a time. Usually corrective PTFs come out quickly (read: next two weeks or
so) but in the meantime, ouch. Waiting a week or two and reviewing the
defective PTF list is encouraged, strongly.

As Rob mentions TRs and other larger changes often require extra steps, and
a healthy reading of the PSP is in order for those.

Thirdly, IBM is delivering new feature/function within the group PTFs all
the time, which is great, until it affects a current process you have.
Maybe it's the removal of a security protocol that you rely on but have not
yet upgraded. Maybe it's a change to the behavior of SQL because it was
wrong before and IBM is correcting it, but you are using it (remember the
thread a short while ago with compiler errors that were fixed, then put back
because a large customer came to rely on the error) and that causes
troubles.

I encourage my customers to consider a quarterly sequence for PTFs, usually
in the two weeks of the month away from month end close. It's rare that a
HIPER PTF is needed any faster than that, and if it is you can always apply
it as needed. That will keep your system updated and well within the
support center's vision. They can advise if you run into a problem that
requires a more updated group.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects