We have multiple interfaces. The general public does not know about the others.
I monitor them on occasion. If some unauthorized user is using them an explanation is forth coming.

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Rob Berendt
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 3:27 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Perm vs Temp PTF applies

Well, renaming the entry in the corporate DNS to point to a different IP address as served up on our HA machine, and, ending the TCP/IP interface and setting it to not start up on startup is a big start.

Also, when you slip install like this you will be doing a Manual IPL which steps you through a whole bunch of stuff and you could change startup stuff with that also.

I do four IPLs during this process.
The first IPL is set up to come up in restricted state and is done to permanently apply PTF's.
The second IPL is the slip install. I do not set that to come up in restricted state just in case the install process likes to do some post IPL stuff. (Manual IPL).
The third IPL is the cume IPL. I do not set that to come up in restricted state. Not that it happens during a slip install but in a normal upgrade this would be when the INZSYS would run and you really want to let that run.
Then I bring it down into restricted state, do a full system save, and perform the fourth IPL.