I'm that small customer. 1 box. 2 full time lpars. I will want to pop up an occasional lpar for testing various things, and this new interface is god awful. Thankfully the command line stuff has better documentation than the gui does. And thankfully I work in linux for 50% of my time. Even run linux as my workstation. The command line is a breeze. 30 minutes to get done what I had spent several hours trying to do with the gui.

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Holger Scherer
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 7:18 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: HMC woes WAS: RFE: Document how to migrate from 5733OPS to preferred distributions

Am 18.04.2019 um 02:13 schrieb DrFranken <midrange@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Even 20 boxes and 200 LPARS is really a big shop all in. At least that that level you've likely got someone quite dedicated to infrastructure. The VAST number of smaller shops are really lost.

We just hit the 200 LPAR (VIOS not counted) number recently and need to restructure some setups and documentations. As we also run archive systems we have P5 - P7 boxes up and running, so we will be using the classic interface for years… I do not even talk about a lot of customers running one box with one or maybe to LPARs going to have a HMC with the new interface. Cannot repeat what they tell me, trying to push them to OpsConsole as they just need a console for a SAVE21…

And it's why I pretty much do all of this in CLI. Not likely they'll take that away from us!!

Considering this - will need to update some internal docs and learn some details. Two Admins here did not use HMC CLI at all so i think we’re going to have a small workshop with them just to avoid clicky fingers syndrome :)

-h

[https://www.medtronsoftware.com/img/MedtronMinilogo.bmp] Kevin Bucknum
Senior Programmer Analyst
MEDDATA / MEDTRON
120 Innwood Drive
Covington LA 70433
Toll Free: 877-893-2550
https://www.medtronsoftware.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This document and any accompanying this email transmission contain confidential information, belonging to the sender that is legally privileged. This information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. The authorized recipient of this information is prohibited from disclosing this information to any other party and is required to destroy the information after its stated need has been fulfilled. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee of agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken in reliance on the contents of these documents is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately to arrange for return or destruction of these documents.