Based on experiences, would it be helpful to recognize you are going from a screen-at-a-time design structure to a key-at-a-time structure?  Way down, at the very root of your designs, many things can, and probably should, change.

"... Existing screens are packed with information, and a lot of different function keys in use" screams out at me that replacing 5250 with html-that-acts-like-5250 is going to bite you at every turn. With today's design structures that "packed with... different function keys..." scenario becomes an anchor that will drown you in user training, inconsistency, and glitchy stuff outside of your control.

What I have done, and realize from hind sight was much easier to effectuate, was a 3-step approach.  First, since I had no real experience with what I wanted to do, i chose a marginal but defined chunk of a minor but important application and decided to see where that led me.  It was awkward, awful, and frankly, pretty pathetic.  But it did work.  3 versions of that and I felt like a champ and the occasional user comment was energizing.  So I took another chunk, and it was better.  Not good, but better. I repeated until there were no more chunks to tear off.

Then, step 2: I looked at what was left to be done and realized a fairly small set of features remained undone.  It went surprisingly well and user response was "Do X-tea-X next!".

Step 3 was to chew up through the food chain, from minor to significant, leaving the important applications to last, when I was best prepared.  It all worked, and in a time frame consistent with what other solutions were actually doing. All without changes of personnel, loss of business rules, or heavy conversion software costs.

RPG, the IWS wizard, web services, HTML, css, and JavaScript gives you a design structure that is modern, sub-second, easily maintained, and requires minimal user training.