Thanks Martin, Scott, Jim, Mark

The application that produces all those PDF docs is SAP Bussinnes One (SBO)
ERP
although the trigger(s) for it may be external.

Delivery note PDF docs are created by invoking a Web Service (supplied by
SBO) from our Green screen applications (using LIBHHTP routines) or by a
CRM package (another 3rd party)

Receipts PDF docs are created internally by SBO or by invoking (another)
Web Service
from a home grown Web application (for internet payers )

Invoices are solely created internally by SBO.

All the A/M SBO processes put the generated PDF docs in a
customer-document-directory
on a Windowz server using the structure I've previously detailed.

(We have many other green screen legacy applications that creates PDF docs
and Excel files
and place them in directories much the same way , or just displays them
and let the users
mail/archive/print it themselves).

Now
indexing those PDFs in a PF file is impractical me think.
and yes by calling STRPCCMD we are actually using Windows Explorer to open
the documents or list the documents in a customer's directory.
(the most simple way)

While Googling I think I've seen a solution for wild card support using a
.bat file
but I've misplaced the link and can't find it.

Using a browser looks interesting, I'd love to see a sample as my skills
outside
the green world are not what they should have been.

Thanks again
Gad