On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 9:21 PM John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 4:25 PM Jon Paris <jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

My problems tend to be in the App Dev area.

I fully appreciate that even people who love Python will usually have
a ton of existing, working, production RPG code that it certainly
doesn't make sense to throw away. We certainly have that situation at
my shop. So I (and apparently Jack) use clunky-but-effective means to
transfer information, and the customers are happy, so we're happy. And
of course I personally do most of my "green field" IBM i programming
in Python.

Pretty good summary from JY.

I'm not advocating that people dive into Python *for Python's sake*.

The original question was about doing something that's clumsy to do in CL
but is easy to do in one or more of the open source languages we find today
on IBM i.

This led to a discussion of "How?" which may have left the original
question behind.

*.IFF.* you find yourself wishing that some stuff could be accomplished in
a more modern way in a well-documented open source language with hundreds
of thousands of lines of library support, one which is well know to younger
programmers, *.THEN.* Bash/Python/Ruby/Perl/PHP/Java/GnuC/GnuC++ are at
your fingertips.

It was mostly JTOpen which sucked me into the AS/400 in 1998. Now look what
the platform has become! I'm just luxuriating in it :)