If it's any help my 8286-41A at 7.3 has multiple partitions.
2 of VIOS
5 of IBM i
The disk in the system unit is four drives. Two to VIOS1 and two to VIOS2
All IBM i disk is owned by one lpar and it guests it out to the other
lpars of IBM i

On the hosting lpar WRKHDWRSC *STG shows (in addition to other things)
Resource Type-model Status Text
DC05 57CE-001 Operational Storage Controller
D03 50B1-001 Operational Device Services
DMP034 19B1-099 Operational Disk Unit
DMP048 19B1-099 Operational Disk Unit
Using "7=Display resource detail" on the Storage Controller DC05 shows
that it is card slot 12
Location : U78C9.001.WZS00U9-P1-C12

I have another controller, DC02, in card slot 8: U78C9.001.WZS00U9-P1-C8
This controls these drives:
DC02 57CE-001 Operational Storage Controller
D02 50B1-001 Operational Device Services
DMP033 19B1-099 Operational Disk Unit
DMP047 19B1-099 Operational Disk Unit
and these drives:
D07 50B1-001 Operational Device Services
DMP051 59DD-099 Operational Disk Unit
DMP053 59DD-099 Operational Disk Unit

WRKDSKSTS, F11 will show you what ASP your disk drives are in. We
segregated our 10K disks into a separate ASP to use for archiving data.
Some people put their SSD's into a separate ASP and control what data gets
used by them by using parameters on CRTLIB like
ASP number . . . . . . . . . . . ASP
Some people leave them in the same ASP and control it by "Preferred
storage unit . . . . . UNIT " on CHGPF.
Some people reserve their SSD's by lpar.
I think there's a performance option to let the system figure that out
too.

One major benefit of guesting is that your lpar configurations are not
constrained by how many controller cards you have available. It becomes
much more flexible to allocate disk storage.