Hot spare came with V5r4M5 - M5 being the key.

Not all RAID cards supported it but the 'large cache' ones did. Hot spare for Mirroring came later.

You can have a bunch of hot spares but remember for the LOAD SOURCE raid set at least ONE hot spare MUST be in a bootable location and with SCSI that's the first two or three slots. If not then it's not eligible to replace the Load Source and thus it's more of a warmish spare and not so valuable.

I have one machine across the state that I maintain and I have four hot spares in there. If one or two are down I don't have to worry and can replace them next time I'm there.

Hot spare are also 'Per Controller (pair)' So say you had 0595 drawers you could have 10 real and 2 hot spare even with 2 RAID sets in there for example.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com