To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 23:59
Subject: Re: IBM i Disk system statistics

'Not Replacing' them is, um, 'fraught with peril' because when the second drive does in a Parity set, you're toast.

You do realize that a 525 is OLD and I did some math a while back that the drives in that thing have likely rotated over 1 BILLION times so things in there are getting tired. We ARE seeing those drives beginning to fail at higher rates simply due to age.

IBM i constantly is looking at disks and deciding if the number of errors is such that a drive will fail. If the numbers get to that point you will get 'impending DASD failure' messages in QSYSOPR meaning replacing the drive is a good idea.

I would suspect that those folks claiming that other servers are 'better' are not comparing to decade old equipment.

Also in case you're confused on dates, the i810 is even older than a 525! Those came out in 2003!

<vendor response>

If you are looking for replacement drives for the 525 I have MANY of them. 35, 70, and 140G and they are CHEAP.

</Vendor response>

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com