From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of DrFranken
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 3:18 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Determining Maximum Frame Size - TCP Buffer size

They are of course two distinct though related things.

Think of Frame Size as the 'biggest truck allowed on the highway'. If your
'highway' allows for standard Ethernet trucks that would be 1,500 bytes.
Subtract a tick of overhead and you get 1496. If your 'highway'
supports huge ass Michigan trucks then you get 9000 bytes or with overhead
8996 bytes. What determines this?

#1 the switches in your network. All switches support 1500 Byte frames and
many, dare I say most, support 9000 byte frames, also known as 'Jumbo'
Frames. However virtually ALL switches need to be configured for Jumbo
frames to use them. Using Jumbo frames means more memory allocated per frame
and thus fewer frames in total can be in memory. So don't enable them on
your switches if you do not need them.

#2 is the other devices in the network. So if your IBM i and your switch
both support Jumbo frames but your router or firewall does not then it's
pointless to turn them on. Much like 1000 miles of highway supporting a
massive truck but one bridge does not, your truck cannot get from here to
there. At that bridge you would need to off-load to smaller trucks to cross
that bridge. In the case of the network once offloaded the traffic is never
reloaded to the big truck it stays as little trucks all the way to the
destination.

On the local network (talking Ethernet here, not IP) the devices will
negotiate: "Hey can you take Jumbos??" if the far device says yes then we
can use 'em. If not then we send smaller packets. That's pretty easy.

Going further though if you can get a Jumbo frame to your firewall but from
there out to your vendor or customer only 1500 bytes are supported then the
firewall has extra work to do to 'unload the big truck onto smaller trucks.'
So your IBM i saved a tick of work sending fewer bigger packets but the
firewall got a lot more work by having to do fragmentation at the IP layer.

Now the buffers on the other hand are the amount of memory allocated in
which to store packets that have not yet been acknowledged by the far end.
The further the distance, read 'higher the latency', the longer it takes to
get acknowledgement from the far end. If the pipe is fast once the buffer is
full IBM i must stop sending until some packets in there are acknowledged by
the far end. Then it can free that memory and use it for more packets. So
bigger buffers can help on fast lines. Note that this is a TCP thing only,
UDP does not do this as it merely sends and forgets. IBM i doesn't use much
UDP and for good reason.

Hope that helps!!

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com