It depends. The hypervisor is going to give a card to a lpar, pretty much
always. I can't think of an exception off of the top of my head. That
lpar may be VIOS, it may be IBM i, it may be something else. That lpar
can virtualize usage of that card to other machines.

I host ethernet via VIOS. One VIOS lpar virtualizes one card. Another
VIOS lpar virtualizes another. They are tied together and presented to
the rest of the lpars as one line. If one VIOS lpar goes down there is no
interruption. If both VIOS lpars go down then the rest of the lpars lose
ethernet.
I also host fiber channel to the tape libraries from one VIOS lpar. If
that VIOS lpar goes down the rest of the LPARs lose tape.
On Power 8 I hosted DVD from VIOS but on Power 9 I use USB DVD.
VIOS lpar one has two disk drives in the CEC using mirroring. VIOS lpar
two has two different disk drives in the CEC using mirroring. The rest of
the disk drives are in expansion units and are all assigned to my hosting
lpar of IBM i. If I vary off the NWSD(s) on my hosting IBM i lpar the
guest lpars "hang" until it is varied back on again. I've done it once.
No harm no foul but not something I recommend one do for grins and
giggles.

Pete gives a good presentation on this at COMMON.