I'm reviewing the options for doing a P7 V7R3 to P9 V7R3 migrations.
Four LPARs, Production, R&D, Sandbox, DSLO combined image.
Currently, each LPAR has their own hardware resources.
Going forward, on the P9, Production will own all hardware, other LPARS will be hosted clients.

Migration device is a 3573 library with 4 LTO7 FC HH drives.
All four drives are used for BRMS system save to minimize down window. (currently 65 minutes)

Parallel device resources:
Minimum resources . . . . . . . . . . 4 1-32, *NONE, *AVAIL
Maximum resources . . . . . . . . . . 4 1-32, *AVAIL, *MIN

One BRMS control group - SAVSYS05

20 *SAVSYS FFFFFFF
30 *IBM *SYSBAS FFFFFFF *NO *NO
40 *ALLUSR *SYSBAS FFFFFFF *ERR *NO
50 *ALLDLO FFFFFFF *NO *NO
60 *LINK *ALLAVL FFFFFFF *YES *NO

plan is to:
1) Configure all the LPARS on the HMC.
2) Migrate all the LPARS
3) Test all the LPARS (this could be days to weeks)
4) Clear the ASP or only delete the *ALLUSR libraries.
5) Final migration

My major concern is steps 2, 4, and 5, migration.
I would like to use BRMS recovery,
However, back in 2012, when I did the P5 to P7 migration, I was NOT successful (several attempts, multiple issues) in using BRMS recovery as the migration tool.
I've never completed a successful BRMS recovery, production or test.
I reverted to Save 21 / Restore 21.

I plan on re-attempting the BRMS recovery.
A lot has changed and improved since 2012.

Questions
1) Has anyone ever used multiple drives for the BRMS recovery of the *ALLUSR libraries backup item.

From what I've read and been told, if the original BRMS save was done using 4 drives, then one could start four interactive STRRCYBRM OPTION(*RESUME) to reduce the down window.
Pros/cons on this?

2) Once an LPAR has been tested, I'd prefer to NOT clear the ASP for final migration, but rather delete all user libraries and recover only those.
Pros/cons on this?

3) Any other migration or recovery suggestions from the group?

Thank You
_____
Paul Steinmetz
IBM i Systems Administrator