Rob,

I find it faster and more convenient than RDi for "little" things.  In RDi, it would take me 10-20 seconds to load in the directory listing, then another 10 seconds to load the stream file into the editor.  With vim, I can have it open in a fraction of a second.  If all I want is to do a quick look at a file, or a small change, I can be done before RDi would even present the list of files.

Since vim runs on the server, I can run it from anywhere.  I don't need to install RDi on the PC.  This can be very convenient when I'm not at my own desk.

The other factor, the one that won't apply to a lot of people here..   is that I'm very used to vi/vim.  I've been using it for 20 years, have spent many, many, hours in it...   and it's very powerful, and can do things that almost nothing else can.

On the other hand, RDi is much more powerful when working in RPG, RDi understands source members, and many more features that vim can't touch.  If you're going to sit down and work on a program for the next 2 hours, the extra 30 seconds of loading time don't really matter.

So, it depends on what you're doing.