That's a great question.

When I wrote our WebDocs software in the late 90's disk space was at a premium and IFS and network shares were even more interesting (in a bad way) than they are now to work with.

So we elected that the search data/metadata would be in the database and documents in the file system so they can be moved around as needed and in reality individual documents are not touched that often.

This was before NFS shares and Windows Storage servers became popular so those were just an added bonus to move image and other managed documents to less expensive storage and SAN/NAS servers when they came into the picture.

Most doc management systems are also architected in this way as well. Index data in DB and files in the file system.

If I were to do a new doc management system today I would have to consider storing the documents in a database because databases have come a long way. But still I can't say if I would change my approach because I like the idea of a smaller database and not having to worry about DB size limits.

I would definitely consider MySql/MariaDb/Postgres though for multi-platform support.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p. 952.486.6802
w. helpsystems.com

message: 3
date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 17:17:13 -0400
from: Raul Jager <raul@xxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Large volume file move

Will it be better to store a lot of files as blob in a table?.? They
will count as one object, and I think back up will be faster.? But I
have no experience, I am just asking.