So backup up an ISO image would speed backup times because it gets the entire disk blob from the IFS.

Isn't an unmounted UDFS also the equivalent of a disk blob (think the old Windows File Server IOP) so backup of that would be similar to backing up a disk blob ?

I would think the main benefit being that the tape can stream at full speed because it's backing one large object rather than a bunch of individual objects.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p. 952.486.6802
w. helpsystems.com

------------------------------

message: 3
date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 11:16:26 -0500
from: "Jim Oberholtzer" <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: Large volume file move

An ISO is merely a file on the file system no different than any other file, except for the contents.

An iASP is really a UDFS and is "mounted" when the backing device is varied on.

You can back up the UDFS directly but then there is no file level recovery.
Most folks will just back up the iASP along with the balance of the IFS. In this case that would be foolish. I would have a tape that I initially backed up the iASP with, then build incremental saves of only new objects on the same tape. BRMS would do this nicely for you. Then recovery of a single object would be simple. Clearly the save would be very fast as well.

Remember, to access the iASP IFS file system you only have to use the iASP name in the path, so a directory Agile, with file Source would be addressed
like: /myiaspname/agile/source. (Assuming the iASP is varied on and
available)

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects