From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Richard Schoen
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 1:35 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Large volume file move

Thanks I still need a little clarity on the iASP and backups and I don't
think I heard the answer that I'm seeking to confirm or deny iASP backup.

Once the iASP UDFS is unmounted am I backing up a single large IFS object or
still a directory of 20 million individual IFS objects if I'm Justin ?

If the unmounted UDFS is a single object then backing up the entire thing
should still stream the tape drive full speed because it's 1 single IFS
object instead of 20 million objects.

This question doesn't address his migration, but more the go-forward if his
new box has an iASP and he elects to store his images there.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p. 952.486.6802
w. helpsystems.com

------------------------------

message: 3
date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 13:19:58 -0500
from: "Jim Oberholtzer" <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: Large volume file move

Richard:

Your basic instincts are correct, backing up one object is going to be
faster, but only marginally, particularly if you use Asynchronous bring.
Keep in mind assuming you save the directory subtree, the directory
structure is saved first, then the objects below it. Asynch bring will
pre-fetch the smaller files into memory so the tape is moving almost as fast
as it can. The effect of saving multiple objects is then mitigated vs. the
single large file.

Either way the IFS is not going to compete with Unix or Windows file serving
from a pure speed perspective. Where backup/recovery, management of the
system, cost of acquisition, etc. are taken into account IBM i can win that
argument almost every time, except where the application needs extremely
fast access to IFS objects. Larry's point is a good one. TCO is far lower
with IBM i than a mix of systems, and the headaches that entails.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects