Several of you are talking about 'expiring a file on the tape.' This has to be a BRMS or other tape-management-system function, and only affects the BRMS-maintained database of what's on which tape!

Once a tape is written, the OS has no way (AFAIK) to flag a single file in the middle of the tape as 'expired.' The only thing you could do is write another file starting at that sequence on the tape, effectively deleting everything from that point to the end-of-tape.

There used to be a utility on the S/3 that let you play with the tape-- If a tape had been initialized without clearing the tape you could read past the end-of-tape marker (INZTAP just writes a new header on the tape with an end-of-tape mark just after the header) and explore the files that are still there. Except for the 1st file on the tape, you could retrieve the files from the tape! You still couldn't update a file in the middle of a tape.

I'm afraid, Rob, you're SOL as far as deleting all past backups from existing backup tapes.
.
.
Even if you could drop off one person's email, you still have a problem-- there'd still be a copy of all that person's email in the email of the person they sent the message to or received the message from.
.
.
Now-- if you're using LTO-5 (or higher) tape drives, LTO does support the Linear Tape File System. From Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Tape-Open):
.
.
.
"Linear Tape File System

"The Linear Tape File System (LTFS) is a self-describing tape format and file system made possible by the partition feature. File data and filesystem metadata are stored in separate partitions on the tape. The metadata, which uses a standard XML schema, is readable by any LTFS-aware system and can be modified separately from the data it describes. The Linear Tape File System Technical Work Group of the Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA) works on the development of the format for LTFS.[50]

"Without LTFS, data is generally written to tape as a sequence of nameless "files", or data blocks, separated by "filemarks". Each file is typically an archive of data organized using some variation of tar format or proprietary container formats developed for and used by backup programs. In contrast, LTFS utilizes an XML-based index file to present the copied files as if organized into directories. This means LTFS-formatted tape media can be used similarly to other removable media (USB flash drive, external hard disk drive, and so on).

"While LTFS can make a tape appear to behave like a disk, it does not change the fundamentally sequential nature of tape. Files are always appended to the end of the tape. If a file is modified and overwritten or removed from the volume, the associated tape blocks used are not freed up: they are simply marked as unavailable, and the used volume capacity is not recovered. Data is deleted and capacity recovered only if the whole tape is reformatted.[citation needed] [[and I don't know if it's possible to read past the 'unavailable' flag and retrieve the data marked as unavailable --PEM]]

"In spite of these disadvantages, there are several use cases where LTFS-formatted tape is superior to disk and other data storage technologies. While LTO seek times can range from 10 to 100 seconds, the streaming data transfer rate can match or exceed disk data transfer rates. Additionally, LTO cartridges are easily transportable and the latest generation can hold more data than other removable data storage formats. The ability to copy a large file or a large selection of files (up to 1.5 TB for LTO-5 or 2.5 TB for LTO-6) to an LTFS-formatted tape, allows easy exchange of data to a collaborator or saving of an archival copy.

"Since LTFS is an open standard, LTFS-formatted tapes are usable by a wide variety of computing systems."
.
.
.
The full article on the LTFS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Tape_File_System) lists the systems and drives that support this format. Unfortunately, most are Linux-, Mac-, or Windows-type OSs, and the drives appear to be LTO-5 or better.

Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx