“It really boils down to company policy. We want to change ours to 32. (Hell, we already have enough users who cannot remember the 8 to 10 character passwords.)”

I find it easier to remember long passwords rather than short random character passwords. Which is easier to remember “LetsGoOutToEatTongiht” or “H#miAz$”, plus the long passphrase is much more secure.

________________________________
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Christopher Bipes <chris.bipes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2018 1:41:36 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: Password level change; custom signon screen

Just as an example of other password restrictions:

Maximum length of password in Windows 10: Internally, Windows represents passwords in 256-character UNICODE strings. The logon dialog is limited to 127 characters, however. Therefore, the longest password that can be used to log on interactively to a computer running Windows is 127 characters. Theoretically, programs such as services can use longer passwords, but they must be set programmatically because the password change dialog will not allow a password longer than 127 characters, says an article about Passwords FAQ on TechNet.

For example, if you use a Microsoft Account to log into your Windows 10 computer, you are not allowed 127 characters. This is because Microsoft accounts (Live, Outlook, Hotmail etc) have a maximum limit of 16 characters only. Thus, even though the login box of Windows 10 allows 127 characters, you are forced to use a password of maximum 16 characters. Yahoo and Google are better in this case that allow 32 and 200 characters respectively.

It really boils down to company policy. We want to change ours to 32. (Hell, we already have enough users who cannot remember the 8 to 10 character passwords.)

Chris Bipes
Director of Information Services
CrossCheck, Inc.