I haven't gotten around to this yet, prob will try this weekend. My main
concerns/roadblocks is that my box was an AIX box configured with an HMC, I
don't have that HMC and no experience with VIOS, so I'm not sure I can get
off the ground. I do have a graphics adapter in the machine so I'm going to
hook up a monitor and see what I can see. The disks that I sourced for this
box are IBMi disks but I've ordered a cheap 146GB AIX/Linux variant in case
I need it.

I'm ready to take another crack at this box, so I'll post after I mess with
it some more.

--
Scott Williams

It's amazing how letting a project sit for 3 months can erode your memory
on the process... Anyways I'm back into the ASMI after a couple of days of
re-checking all my settings. The server is on the local LAN, but I had
forgotten to use https://serverip instead of just the ip alone to access
the ASMI. Firewall and TLS settings are not so much of a concern as they
were described in the documentation.

The control panel still shows HMC=0, and the Graphics adapter is not the
right FRU for a POWER6 (I think it's more for an X-series machine, it's a
GXT6500P) so I really don't have any way to see what's going on outside of
the control panel codes.

I've ordered a used Graphics Adapter (GXT135P) from the 'Bay. The plan is
to access the system with a monitor and install Linux (Ubuntu) to the 146GB
disks ( FRU 10N7204) I also have a pair of 146GB iSeries disks (FRU
42R6691), but I'm not sure that I can use those.

I'm now thinking of doing the factory reset as described in this article:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?crawler=1&uid=nas8N1013000

I can't do much with this system as it is right now, so I feel like this is
a necessary step. Anything I should be wary of before I do so? I believe
the service processor will revert back to the factory IP settings, but I
should be able to connect to the ASMI quite easily and put it back on the
LAN.

I'm still pretty fuzzy on how I would access the SMS menu to install the
system. Does that come up automatically when the un-managed system reaches
standby?

Many thanks in advance.