Jack,

connection strategies to IBMi....

what do you suggest?...... we do odbc, but would like a better method.

Unsolicited advice here, but don't underestimate the benefits of ODBC. While the i supports a host of database access methods (.NET, ADO, etc., etc. etc.), ODBC offers:

* Relatively good database speeds for isolated calls. Others can weigh in on systems handling greater number of records, but you can certainly handle dozens of reads/updates a minutes painlessly.

* It isolates you from dependence on third party software development. If the software package calls the ODBC connection as defined on the PC, you are free to point it to an entirely new server. By and large, unless you are actually changing the SQL statement, you can control which system you want to point to. For those of us who use FedEx/UPS software (along with 4 - 6 others), this is a godsend.

* It just works. It's completely resilient/immune to Java updates, new versions of .Net, and a host of other factors that can break other connections.

I would just advise you consider whether or not you want to use an IP address or a domain name in the setup early on. A domain name means you are free to replace a server simply with a Doman Name change. A static IP address means you will be touching each client machine to point to a new address when the new system comes on line. Having them setup by domain name makes it easy to control multiple machines at multiple locations without being hands on.

YMMV