Booth,

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 04:28:23PM -0500, Booth Martin wrote:

However there is the other camp , also very large, of programmers in
shops that are green screen and going to remain in green screen; shops
that are stuck at V5R4, shops that are in the 8th year of their 90-day
transition to a "modern" solution, shops where the staff is sharply
divided between The Ancients and The Young Un's. These shops, for
whatever reason, are staying with 5250 and, by default, still
programming like it's 1992.

I'm sort of in that camp. The shop I'm in just finished a 3+ year, or was
it 4+ year, "one year" project to downgrade from our z/OS system to an
AS/400 based system. Yes, I know the name has changed. When IBM comes up
with a new name that's better than AS/400, we might start using it. We're
not stuck at V5R4. We're running 7.2. But we're primarily green screen,
and likely to stay that way. Our new system is primarily 5250 based, and
most programmers are still using SEU. I think we have one or two
programmers using RDi. For me reaching for a mouse is a last resort, so I'm
happy with most things 5250. I do miss the ISPF editor's syntax
highlighting when using SEU. I've been working on a vim wrapper script that
copies source physical file members to stream files before editing and back
after editing. Though I'm having trouble finding full featured vim syntax
files for CL, free format RPG, etc.