Yeah...sorry...I should have stated "psuedo conversational" where you write
the program such that it drops out of memory until it is reactivated again
(as he also explained). We also used transient data queues to hold state
until we came back "alive". Sheesh...I don't miss those days at all...lol

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Yeung
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2018 10:47 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Re: New IT personnel

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 5:41 AM, Winchester Terry
<terry.winchester@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Although CICS was solid communications interface, I was glad to leave the
"conversational" world and move to the midrange where most of the grunt work
was done by the OS ... and "smart" files :)

I don't know what "conversational" means in this context, but Dave
Clark was saying that display programming on the IBM i *is*
conversational, and that CICS gives you a choice of conversational or
not.

Here's what he said, exactly:

The mainframe CICS programming standard is that
you don't leave programs/transactions active while waiting for the user to
key things in on the screen because this ties up resources that could be
used elsewhere. You can make it conversational (as it is on the IBM i)
and therefore have no issue with state -- but, as I said, that is not
recommended.

John Y.